VT WSUS is a combination of over a year’s work by the Virginia Tech central IT group called
MIG (Microsoft Implementation Group). We designed and
developed this product from the ground up, based on the MS WSUS SP1 framework, to be a scalable,
stable and secure patch management framework for MS based applications and operating systems.
With this product a company or university can build a solution that provides a provision-able
desktop client that interacts with a single or multi-tiered WSUS architecture. This solution
also allows for delegated access to client patch status (with 4 supported levels of delegation),
a robust web reporting mechanism with eight included default reports, and a data rollup feature
that allows both strongly and weakly coupled WSUS servers to act in a collective reporting process.
VT WSUS was developed based upon our customer comments, functional requests and extensive needs
assessments based upon our university’s computing infrastructure. Also of interest is the VT WSUS
Wiki at http://wsuswiki.w2k.vt.edu.
- Development Status: Production/Stable
- Environment: Desktop & Web Environment
- Intended Audience: System Administrators, Developers, Security Auditors
- License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
- Operating System: MS Windows 2000/XP (Desktop), MS Windows 2003 (Web)
- Programming Languages: C#, ASP.NET
- Topic: Security